I love text files with reasonable formats (which excludes xml). However when dealing with a text file that another program uses it would be nice if there was something wrong with the file encoding if an error to that effect was logged.

I got burned by the upstart program on Ubuntu spitting out this error not foundfd/9: 5: /proc/self/fd/9 today. This was the result of copying a file from one system, editing it, emailing it to another person and having them install it on another system. The error really means the file format is messed up. I fixed this by creating a new file and retyping the entire config. What an enourmas pain.